Friday, September 10, 2010

Thing 16: E-Books

Love e-books! At my previous job, e-books made up the bulk of the collection. New material could be made accessible quicker than having to handle a hard copy. Searching was easier, multiple users, all that good stuff. I think it has a place in any good vibrant collection.

That being said--I am not a fan of APA books. It's a very busy search screen and somethings that should be there are not. Does anyone see how you limit your search to full text? Some may call that feature "lazy" but I prefer "efficient". And the "Narrow Result" column? Wow! To me, this database seems overdesigned. I suppose I will get used to it but right now it's a chore.

E-books are growing in popularity especially as the catalog lists and links to these books. It's nice that they are not sequestered off some place.

I do not own a dedicated e-book reader and I do not wish to. The footprint of a Kindle is too large. I just have no interest in such a device. Every time I see that ad showing two people relaxing on a beach with their readers, I think "You better not drop those suckers in the sand or the water!"

No comments:

Post a Comment